Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I am a TOTAL mess!

In addition to giving up caffeine, I'm also weaning Ayden. It appears I'm suffering from "weaning guilt". There were many factors that contributed to his weaning, but I still feel SO guilty. My goal was to breastfeed him for AT LEAST 6 months. We made it to 6 months this past Monday with absolutely no problems. Other than the fact he's a little piglet, and is NEVER full! He started on cereal at 4 months, baby food at 5 months, and baby food twice a day at 5 and 1/2 months. There's just no satisfying him! I'm going to check with his doctor, but I think we're going to have to start him on #2 foods pretty soon. Today his bottles will be supplemented with formula...(holy crap at the price of formula by the way!)...and by next week he should be strictly formula and solid food fed. I'm really going to miss our bonding time:( I'm sure he'll be a lot happier when he's got a full tummy, but I just can't get over the guilt of it all. If you are a man, you might want to stop reading...this next part is a little TMI. Just a warning. Another reason I'm choosing to wean is because I'm one of the lucky ones...I don't have periods as long as I'm breastfeeding. One of the exams, and my medication schedule, is based on my cycle. I will need to have a period before I can move forward with those 2 things. Even though I was given this information AFTER I decided to wean, it still feels like I'm doing it for me and not for Ayden. My mom isn't helping. She's not happy with my decision, and is constantly saying, "You're doing this because of the surrogacy aren't you?", "That's selfish.", "Studies show that babies that are breastfed have a higher IQ.". What I'd really like to say is "Oh really? Remind me again, how long was I breastfed?". That's right...I wasn't! Point being, there are plenty of great people out there that were formula fed. When it comes down to it, Ayden will grow up healthy and well ajusted, provided Dustin and I do our jobs as parents, and set a good example for him. Okay...I'm jumping off my soapbox now. I'm feeling a little better...now if we could just do something about the price of formula! Holy freakin' cow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I feel for you. I have thought about weaning Peyton several times, with no prevail. I just can't do it. Peyton nurses about once a day, the rest of the time I pump. I pump about 4-5 times a day and give him bottles for school, nurse him before bedtime and that's it. I thought, I am getting sick of this, but I tried to quit and was an emotional mess. I know how you feel. I am sticking out breastfeeding for 6 months as well. You did an amazing job for sticking it out 6 months! CONGRATS! Don't get too down and out, it sounds like it is the right thing for Ayden seeing that his little chunky butt won't get full. Peyton is already on rice cereal once a day, because he just isn't satisfied either with just bottles. Since I can't keep up with him with my milk, he has a bottle of formula once every other day, just so I can keep up.
Anyways, you're doing what is best.
LOVE YOU!